Food

Jeremiah's food related reviews and experiences.

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Jalapeño, Chicken and White Bean Chili

1 1/4 cups dried navy (pea) beans
1 tablespoon each cumin and coriander seeds
2 onions, quartered
4 cloves garlic (unpeeled)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
12 jalapeño peppers
2 teaspoon each dried oregano and salt
3 pounds chicken thighs, skinless
1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander
2 tablespoon lime juice

Chef's note: recipe was halved.

***

Chef Jeremiah made this a few nights ago. CJ's momma actually found the recipe when we were in line at the grocery store a few months ago. Then when I had my interview at "The Firm", I noticed that they had it along with the rest of the reading material they leave out for their clients. It just took me several months to remember (and then find) the recipe.

Hmm. The hardest part of the recipe was finding the dried navy beans. No kidding. I searched Superstore high and low, and no dice. I even asked the manager and she had one of the cashier ladies try to help me find it. Nope. It wasn't until my quick trip to WalMart did I find those elusive beans.

The other disappointing part of the dish involved the beans too. Not only did I soak the beans for an additional 8 hours that the recipe recommendation, but they were still a little too hard. Was my water not powerful enough to penetrate this ivory-skinned legume? Or does WalMart grow a particular hardy bean? Chances are we'll never know... But we do know this: soak those beans for at least 24 hours.

This is a refreshing dish. It can certainly be muy caliente if you don't seed the jalapeños too much or go easy on the cumin.

Actually, this dish reminded me of one of my favourite Cuban dishes..some chicken with saffron dish...geez.... I need to find it.

Anyway, a tasty chicken dish.

Here's the photo:


The grade: 7.5 out of 10.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Dylan "where is wayne fontes when we need him most",

    As you may have noted, I don't go into all the details of how each dish is prepared on my blog. In this case, there was a step where after the beans had soaked where you boil them. Still, it wasn't enough.

    ReplyDelete