Food

Jeremiah's food related reviews and experiences.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Natchez Shrimp - Louisiana Purchase

Natchez Shrimp - Jumbo shrimp cooked in white wine & herbs with mushrooms & smoked Chipotle pepper butter (Dinner portion $22.95 CAD)
Alligator Lager - Alley Kat Brewing (apprx. $6.00 CAD)

***

CJ thinks it best to split this review in two:

The beer portion, and the meal portion.

Now, don't get me wrong - everyone likes a good lager, even CJ. But over the past 15 years, there isn't one beer from Alley Kat that I've enjoyed. Not one. I shouldn't have ordered it, but I was feeling open-minded. Foolish me. I didn't get a photo. It wasn't enjoyable. I really don't have much to say about it. Sorry for the short review. Just another disappointment. <Sigh>

Grade: 5.2 out of 10.0

Meal portion

This was much more enjoyable than my beverage.

The dish came out in a reasonable time, and included roasted vegetables (green beans and yellow squash) with a few grape tomatoes thrown in for good measure, and a sliced, roasted potato. The sides came out quite nicely, and dipping the potato slices (and complimentary bread) into the shrimp/mushroom/wine juice was well worth it. The sauce had a very nice "earthy" taste to it. Quite enjoyable. Not quite "hot", but just the right amount of creole and/or cajun spice to it. Definitely in the top 3 sauces of 2012 (at least so far!).

Both the shrimp and mushrooms were done to near perfection - not chewy due to being overdone at all. Very pleasant.

I suppose the only complaint would maybe be the price, but that's pretty minor.

Here's the photographic evidence:



And the grade: an 8.3 out of 10.0

No comments:

Post a Comment