Food

Jeremiah's food related reviews and experiences.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti

1 1/3 cup dried cranberries
2 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup shelled salted natural pistachios (not dyed red)
1 large egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water, for egg wash

***

Well, this isn't the first time I've baked biscotti. No, it doesn't mean "San Diego" in Italian, it means "to cook twice". (If I figured out how to write commentary for photos, I would have before, after 1st bake, and final photos of the biscotti). I've baked biscotti about 3 or 4 times previous to this attempt (the other sample being "Double Chocolate-Walnut Biscotti").

But I have to admit, that this time was a bit different. The dough was much more wet than it had been in the past. This is most like cause by the cranberries, as you soak them in boiling water and dry them off before adding them to the dough. Unfortunately, I had soaked the cranberries for longer than recommended, and did not dry them off as required. Thus I had some pretty sticky dough. I took some motherly advice and added some more flour, but it still didn't have the same "feel" to it. Darn it!

I kneaded the dough and made the two loaves as required. Added egg wash and baked, cut and baked them again. Here you can see the results:


Tasty! It turns out my worry for the wet dough was unfounded. The biscotti was a success!!

1 comment:

  1. He then hand delivered some to McKesson to share with his former coworkers. What a great guy and great biscotti too!!

    ReplyDelete