Food

Jeremiah's food related reviews and experiences.

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Insalate - Giuggiolosa

Mixed Greens
Cambozola
Roasted Red Peppers
Black Olives
Pinenuts
Honey
Extra-virgin Olive Oil
Balsamic Vinegar

***

Well, I obtained this recipe from a restaurant in (mid-town?) Toronto a few years ago. I had located their menu online, printed it off and added it to my recipe/menu collection.

Unfortunately, menus don't always (actually, rarely) explain how they prepare their dishes in terms of proportions/measurements of their ingredients, so I just played around with it. You guys (my little 'sous chefs') will just have to experiment and find the right mix for yourselves.

Here's the photo:

The cambozola, pinenuts, olives all end up on the bottom, and the red peppers stuck together a little too much. Also, the olives were WAY too strong (Unico brand) - in fact, their taste was just too overpowering. I had to pull them out after my first serving of salad. I don't know if I picked the wrong olives or what - but it just didn't compare to the restaurant's dish. On the positive side of the ledger, I did manage to get my proportion of the dressing correct - honey, balsamic vinegar and olive oil - this left me pleased.

No need to worry - I didn't let the salad sit in the dressing while I prepared the other dish (risotto - see below). I added the dressing just before dinner. No soggy salad for my team. Without a doubt, this was the TSN turning point of the meal...


Final Score:
Chef Jeremiah 1
Soggy Salad 0

No comments:

Post a Comment