Food

Jeremiah's food related reviews and experiences.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Free Press Bistro - The Kubla Khan with Russian Potato Salad

Lean strips of beef, marinated in Mongolian spice and pressed with chiles, shredded carrot, Hoisin sauce and mozza. $12.95

***

I ventured downtown into the big city today for lunch. The Free Press Bistro was my friend's choice, but I was still eager to go. Once I looked at the menu, I realized that the focus was on sandwiches - not what I was expecting at all. I didn't know what to expect, but I just wasn't expected so much focus on the Earl's invention.

I was originally tempted by the Cuban, as I could compare it to my own work (click here). And then the Kubla Khan caught my eye. And then the Shrimp Po' Boy caught my eye (I've never had a Po' Boy). What was Chef Jeremiah to do? In the end, after some discussion as to what "Russian Potato Salad" is and the exciting night the Oil had on Friday, I decided on the Kubla Khan.

It was pretty good. I chose it because it reminded me of the subs I got at the Saigon Givral. I miss that place. Anyway, the sandwich was pretty good, although the bread was just a tad dry for my liking, and the price just a bit too much for what you get (I opted up for $1.50 to get the Russian Potato Salad). The meat was tender and flavourful - in fact it reminded me of a pulled pork sandwich. And the carrots and Hoisin sauce added enough zest and moisture to it. I would have it again, no questions asked.


Here is the proof:



Now, that is only half the sandwich as well - I had forgotten to take to photo until partway done.

I wish I could have quizzed the waitress again about what makes up a Russian Potato Salad, but she was just too busy after we had received our meals. There just isn't enough time at lunch during the week to allow Chef Jeremiah to get his questions answered.

Overall I'd give the experience about a 6.5 out of 10. It would have been better had we accompanied our sandwiches with some beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment