Food

Jeremiah's food related reviews and experiences.

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Drunkard's Noodles

4 oz. dried rice noodles
2 tablespoons oil
1 onion
1 clove garlic (Chef's note: I didn't have any garlic, so omitted this... :(   )
4 small red chilies
1 small red bell pepper
1 small green bell pepper
1 tomato
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
6 basil leaves (Chef's note: I used Hot Thai Basil - that's what the package read from Lucky 97)
4 kaffir lime leaves (Chef's note: I used 6 leaves)

***

Well, I hadn't made this dish since May or June of this year. Not because I don't like the dish, but because it's hard to get lime leaves. At least I haven't been able to locate any at any of the grocery stores here in Leduc. I doubt they'll have any in Camrose either... <hurrrrrrrrrrr>

So, after finally remembering to get to an Asian food market while in E-town yesterday, I picked up some groceries and made sure to get the lime leaves. They smell so good. I think I might bring some into work to freshen things up.

Back to the task at hand - The dish really doesn't take very long (cooking time is less than 5 minutes), most of the time is spent cutting up the vegetables. And waiting for the rice noodles to soak. I let them soak for 10 minutes in cool water. They were still a little hard when I threw them into the wok, but you just keep adding water tablespoons at a time until they are done. In hindsight, I may have let them soak for about 2 - 3 minutes longer.

The other problem with the noodles is that they didn't separate very well, so it was difficult to dish out.

As you can see below, the dish is quite colourful:


As for taste, I had forgotten how hot it was. I wasn't crying, but it was darn well near burning my lips. I wish I had one of these to cool my palate.

Overall a 7.5 out of 10. I suppose if you like hot food you'll be more inclined to rate it higher.

No comments:

Post a Comment