Food

Jeremiah's food related reviews and experiences.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Goulash Soup

2 tbsp. All-purpose flour
1 tsp. Paprika
1/2 tsp. Pepper
1 pound Stewing beef, trimmed of fat, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 tbsp. Cooking Oil
1 cup Chopped Onion
1/4 cup Water
1 Garlic clove, minced
4 cups Beef stock
1 tsp. Caraway seed
14 oz. Can of diced tomatoes (avec jus)
1 cup Diced carrot
1 cup Diced yellow turnip
1 cup Diced peeled potato

serve with a dollop of sour cream

***

Well, I think I mentioned before that I obtained a few soup recipes from one of my co-workers. Well I think it was a week or two before I obtained the recipes, that I had eaten a Goulash Eggs Benedict (No - I didn't do a write up on it. Next time. I promise). I just love that stuff. Anyway, I have had a hankerin' for some good goulash.

It didn't happen.

This soup just did not meet my expectations. I even had it AGAIN a few days after the flavours had time to stew, but it was for naught. Don't get me wrong, the soup wasn't terrible, it just wasn't good at all.

The good: the soup was filling, and had copious amount of vegetables. It should be healthy enough.

The bad: it just didn't have "it". Roughly comparable to a store-bought can of soup.

The ugly: the goulash just wasn't goulash. The meat wasn't as stringy and tender like that of my aforementioned Goulash Eggs Benedict. And it just seemed a bit to thin. That meat has to cook for a few more hours, I'd say. Maybe another cut of beef, too. I think I used round steak.

Meh. It was about as exciting as this.

Regardless, here is the photographic evidence.


Overall, I'd give it a grade of 5.5 out of 10. This definitely does not cut the "keep-the-recipe-and-try-again" grade. Don't bother. Don't even bother reading this post.

2 comments:

  1. Was your beef stock crap? Some of these types of soup really require a hearty stock. Other times, you end up using many of these ingredients and turning it into a tomato paste/sauce goulash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm. I don't know if I'd say it was crap. It was store bought, not home made.

    ReplyDelete