Food

Jeremiah's food related reviews and experiences.

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Gingered Carrot Soup

1 tbsp butter
2 cups carrot
1 cup onion
1/2 cup celery
2 tbsp ginger
3 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup long grain brown rice (I used mixed rice)
1 tbsp liquid honey
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

***
After you mix the reagents together, you say "An Nox" and BAM! you are cured of what ails you! Just kidding...

I obtained this piece palate-pleasing soup from one of my current co-workers. She had the recipe book in front of her during lunch hour, and I asked if I could quickly peruse through it. With my good looks and charm, she couldn't resist. Quickly I had found two recipes that tickled my fancy (and it would appear my co-worker's as well) - this ginger carrot soup and a goulash soup.

What are you going to do on a Saturday night after studying for your CASB final evaluation on the upcoming Friday? Well, what I did was cook some soup. I really wish I could have recorded the smell. When I added that ginger root to the onions, celery, carrots and butter, it was like ginger heaven - all that was missing was beer, a decent hockey game on tv and scantily-clad women. I would have added that smell to the website for all my little sous-chefs to enjoy.... ahhh technology, why have you forsaken us? Sure, you give us 3-D tvs, but when will smells come out?

Speaking of ginger, when I was younger one of my brother's friends was snooping through our refrigerator. He pulled out a ginger root and said, "What's this?". Either my brother or I helped the culturally-challenged individual and told him it was ginger. "Really?", he replied, and proceeded to bite it. He didn't take a bite out of it, he just bit it. Then he put it back in the fridge. Needless to say, this individual is depraved.

Back to the soup.

It has the usual vegetable-triad of carrots, onions and celery. After the cooking and the pureeing is done, it ends up being pretty thick. And tasty.  I actually added more ginger than the recipe asked for, and was worried that it would be too strong. But it wasn't at all. To my palate the ginger wasn't strong enough. Next time I'll have to up the ante.

Also, I didn't make enough to taste the soup the following day. Because, as everyone knows, soup is always better the second day. Well, I've made a mental note to double up the recipe for next time.

Final score: 7.0 out of 10.

Here is the photographic evidence:


Got ginger?

No comments:

Post a Comment