Food

Jeremiah's food related reviews and experiences.

Friday, January 7, 2011

Mexican Chocolate Cake with Dried Cranberries

   Cake:
1 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup Dutch-process unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon instant coffee
3/4 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk, sour cream or plain yogurt (The Chef used sour cream)
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup dried cranberries
  Glaze:
1/2 cup whipping cream
3 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped

***

Well, does anything reduce the stress of a Thursday night like baking a cake? I'm sure something does... Regardless, I tried this recipe I had for over 3 years. Not once did I make it until now. We can thank the Edmonton Journal for this beauty - I still think they have their "Bistro" section on Wednesdays or Thursdays. It's not all bad. Oh no, it's no rag, it has some good stuff.

I'm a big fan of chocolate and cranberries. I don't know if they have chocolate-covered cranberries, but you'd think that Glossette/Hershey's would get that out soon and somehow - because it's a fantastic combination. And this cake is the perfect vessel for delivering "C&C" to your quivering palate.

It's a surprisingly easy cake to make too. Everything went swimmingly. No issues at all.

After having mixed the batter, I began pouring it into the bundt pan. It was as smooth as Barry fuckin' White. No kidding. Well, at least his voice, when he was alive. It tasted perfect - in the raw. I licked the spatula clean.

After it was cooked and cooled, and the chocolate glaze settled for a few minutes, I had a piece. This is a great cake. Not too sweet at all, chocolatey with a hint of coffee, and of course the cranberries. I think those little guys keep it pretty moist. Warm chocolate cake it pretty good, but I held my judgement in check until today, when I had a day-after piece. The glaze had hardened a bit (similar to the chocolate on chocolate-covered strawberries) but the rest of the cake was still moist and delicious.

And of course, the photographic evidence:

Before baking:





...and après baking and still-warm glazing:




Final judgment: Day-um! Downright delectable. Success! I'd give it a grade of 9.2 out of 10. Yesssss. It's that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment