Food

Jeremiah's food related reviews and experiences.

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Dubliner Cheddar Bacon Burger with Hungarian Potato Salad - Ceili's

Ceili's signature beef burger, maple peppered bacon, melted Dubliner cheddar, served on a Kaiser bun with lettuce, tomato, onion, mustard and barbeque bourbon aioli. Side - Hungarian Potato Salad - $15.75

Actually, that's a lie. That's from the Calgary menu, and I can't quite read the Edmonton location menu at this time. Suffice to say the burger is quite similar but the fixin's are a bit different.

***

So I went to Ceili's for lunch over the holidays for a bite to eat. Ja, ja, your regular Irish pub fare, albeit a bit pricey.

I just don't think any restaurant burger compares to a homemade burger - save those from DeLux. And that's a maybe. The net result wasn't bad - it was quick, cooked well and the cheese was very much melted. It wasn't on a Kaiser bun, but a brioche bun (very soft - with a bit of a sheen to it) that was well suited to the task of transferring it's tasty goodness to my mouth. The sauces and condiments were all quite good and appropriate.

The Hungarian Potato Salad on the other hand, was quite disappointing. All my little Sous Chefs will know that I like a good potato Salad (Russian or German), and now we have the Hungarian.

Needless to say, my expectations were high - (is that Hungarian Paprika on top???). And this potato salad failed. Not spectacularly mind you, but still failed. It was like the New Jersey Devils of the potato salad world - playing not to lose, not playing to win. Oh the potatoes were soft, and it was a creamy dish, but it just didn't have the chutzpah to make my über-palate take notice. No interesting flavours to enjoy or think about. Correction - no flavour at all... And nothing to remember it by other than the partially filled void in my stomach. I think my Warm German Potato Salad was much better. Which, as I've just noticed, I have not yet written about...

Here is the evidence:

Bah! Well the burger was good, I'd give it a 7.0 out of 10 - a pretty good score for a restaurant burger (although still over-priced). The potato salad a 5.0 out of 10. The"104th Avenue Boring Potato Salad" would have been a more apt name.

No comments:

Post a Comment